Colorado Inspired

Colorado Inspired
Colorado Inspired

Winter Wonderland Wood Sign

Winter Wonderland Wood Sign
Winter Wonderland

Valentine's Designs

Valentine's Designs
Valentine's Designs

From a Door to Library Shelves

We did a little treasure hunting a week or so ago, and came across a couple of great doors at our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.  Sent it out for your opinion on our Facebook Page, and got a lot of great ideas, thank you!!  I thought you might like to see what we turned one door into.


I was in need of some added shelves for my library, but wasn't ready to build the custom shelves I want to add someday.  Now we have a few more shelves to use for our ever growing collection of books.





Here's what we started out with, and boy was it super dirty, but with a little cleaning she was ready to be transformed.


The lock mechanism was the main reason I fell in love with this door, so I definitely wanted to make sure I used it in my design for the shelves.  I cut it to my desired length, which in this case is 46", and cut the bottom off to be used for another project.  Waste not want not!


I decided to make four shelves which I cut from MDF board to fit the width of my door, and painted them black.  I think whites are very hard to match, and I already liked the paint on the door and didn't want to change it, so I needed to choose a color for my shelves.  With the rustic looking shelf brackets I found at my local craft store and brown tones throughout the house, I used black as the base color and...


a mocha brown for the second layer.  The two colors give the shelves a depth that I couldn't have achieved with just one color.


After sanding the edges and corners down with sandpaper to the distressed look I was going for, it came to life and matched the older look of our door.


Next came the layout of the shelves.  I wanted the bottom shelf to have the most space for taller books or taller decorations.  You can make this look anyway you like no hard and fast rules for placement, just what works for you.


Bottom shelf is on, and I had to stand back and take a look in excitement.


To add the brackets, I pre-drilled holes for the screws, and used 3/4" wood screws to attach my shelf to the bracket.  Then used 1" screws to attach the brackets to the door.


I left the screws loose so I could have some room to make the bracket straight with the door, if I had tightened the screws all the way it tended to change the position of the bracket just slightly, and this is the way to fix it to get it perfect.


Next we must level the shelves before attaching it to the door.


Two shelves down, getting more excited.
  

Here it is finished and decorated!  Thank you so much for all of your ideas and inspirations for the door.  Let us know what you think in the comments section!

No comments