Colorado Inspired

Colorado Inspired
Colorado Inspired

Winter Wonderland Wood Sign

Winter Wonderland Wood Sign
Winter Wonderland

Valentine's Designs

Valentine's Designs
Valentine's Designs

Winter Decor Finished (Part 2)

It may have taken an extra few days, but all the winter decor is finished.  I've added a few more snowmen, wooden trees, as well as a complete remake of one of our winter signs.  Come take a peak at the last of the winter decor projects.


I just love those trees.  The original idea came from an HGTV video that made the Facebook rounds last Christmas.   I changed them up just a little bit by adding a the truck and stand, and also decided to stain the wood instead of leaving it natural.


The tree size is six inches across the bottom and twelve inches high and I used a leftover piece of sanded plywood.  The trunk is 1x2 pine board that adds two inches to the overall height, and the base is simply a 1x6 cedar fence picket that is cut to four inches by four inches square.


A little wood glue and some 1 1/4 inch brad nails and they are taking the shape of evergreens.


Love them!  Next up is to create the idea of some branches,


I used small width duck tape (.75 inch thick) in order to create the branches, and paint over the top of the tape.


I purchased a quart of sap green paint at my local hardware store to keep the trees evergreen.


The 4x4 snowmen are next, I had a good start on them last week, but they needed noses and faces.


Here they are pre-paint, the snowmen bodies are six inches, eight inches, and twelve inches tall while each hat top is three inches with a five inch by five inch 1x6 cedar fence picket for the hat brim.


Each "body" is painted an off-white while the hats are painted in black.  This wood is rough so in order to keep the rustic nature of the wood I've painted the bodies and hats a little rustic as well.


Now on to create the noses, I just free handed each nose cut them out of a cedar fence picket with a jigsaw and made sure the scale was good for our snowmen bodies.  Don't worry if this takes a couple of tries to get the scale right.


Little pumpkin colored paint, and they are ready to be attached.  Using wood glue and two inch brad nails the hats and brims are attached to the bodies, and the noses are secured with one inch brads.  Now we only have the faces left.


I did a few practice faces on a sheet of paper till I came up with the eyes I liked best, and simply used a sharpie to draw them on the bodies.


They turned out super cute!

Finally I had an idea to change up the "Eat, Sleep, Ski" wood sign we have listed on our website.  By far the most popular signs that sell are the framed wood block in any design for any season, so I decided to create the "Eat, Sleep, Ski" in blocks and add the snowboarder as well.


Love the way these turned out, you could get all four however they are on sale at the shop in a set of three you choose the skier or the boarder!



I think this house is definitely ready for winter!

No comments