Colorado Inspired

Colorado Inspired
Colorado Inspired

Winter Wonderland Wood Sign

Winter Wonderland Wood Sign
Winter Wonderland

Valentine's Designs

Valentine's Designs
Valentine's Designs

Psst Mom, Don't Read Until Mother's Day

With Mother's Day coming up, I wanted to create a thoughtful and lasting gift for my mom to enjoy.
I thought of the best gift to give her this week, but first we must make it!!  My mom and I share the same love of books and gardening, so when this idea came to me I knew it was perfect.  I stumbled across this quote on Pinterest that embodied both the things we love.  So here's how this customized Mother's Day gift turned out!





I created this custom made sign with guess what?  Some pallet wood!


After choosing the best pieces of wood, cutting them to size, and planing them for a smoother finish, I put them together with wood glue and brad nails.  Then used my new favorite tool, the torch, to give it the burnt look and accentuate the wood grain, finally all that was left was to add a light coat of walnut stain.


Next we make the box that either the books or flowers can sit in.  I cut MDF board to the size and scale of my pallet wood board.


Bringing it in the craft room to paint, and this sample of  Olympic toasted almond paint has been my go to color for a lot of my projects lately.  It just gives a good warmth while still feeling bright and clean.


We add the quote!  I went to my Silhouette to create a custom made stencil that fit the size of my board and the fonts I wanted to use.  I cut the quote on contact paper, and arranged it how I liked it.  Then painted it using the same toasted almond color I used for the flower/book box.


I added the author of this quote to the box in black, and then attached the box to the pallet wood board using screws.


Added some pots with a few plants, my stamp, and an apron (mom asked for the apron, but it needed more hens the idea for the flower/library board), and the perfect Mother's Day gift is complete.


Here is the sewing pattern I used to create the apron.  Super easy by the way, finishes out the best custom made Mother's Day gift!



Happy Mother's Day mom!











No comments