Colorado Inspired

Colorado Inspired
Colorado Inspired

Winter Wonderland Wood Sign

Winter Wonderland Wood Sign
Winter Wonderland

Valentine's Designs

Valentine's Designs
Valentine's Designs

Welcome to the Cinema

We're back turning something old and salvaged into a new piece to add to our decor.  This week we've taken an old headboard that we no longer needed, and turned it into a wooden sign for our home theater which was lacking some decor.




Did a little Pinterest searching for inspirations to make this sign, and by combining some of our favorite pins we designed a one of kind sign to fit.


Started out with a full size headboard and footboard, and needed to take off the hardware and wheels, and are left with


a blank slate ready for a design.


I sketched up an image of a ticket with a sharpie to get the size and scale of what I wanted to create.  Measured out a roll of white craft paper to size, and then went to none other than my silhouette to start crafting the design.


This sheet was large enough that I thought the floor gave us the most room to get it sketched.




Took off the top coat of varnish with my sander and some 220 grit paper, and then painted the whole piece off-white.


Now to add the ticket image back on.  Plotted our points back out on the wood, then to get perfect and equal rounded corners I used a compass.  Had to go searching the kids' rooms for one of these babies, I haven't used one in years since school probably, I shutter to think how long that's been!


Paint mixing time.  The wall this piece will hang on is dark blue so did a little mixing of some blues to get the color I was looking for.


A little hand-painting and dry time then we can transfer the image to the board.


Using a graphite stick I colored the back of the design, turned it over and placed the design where I wanted it, and started tracing.  You're left with a perfect image of your design on the board.  


Did the same thing for the "Welcome to the Cinema", and started painting.


After waiting again for the piece to dry, I took a damp paper towel to remove the excess graphite.  Now we get to hang it!



Now I think it's time for a movie!

No comments