Colorado Inspired

Colorado Inspired
Colorado Inspired

Winter Wonderland Wood Sign

Winter Wonderland Wood Sign
Winter Wonderland

Valentine's Designs

Valentine's Designs
Valentine's Designs

Don't Throw Out the Leftovers!

We all have some leftover scrap from finished projects, so this particular project takes using your leftovers to a whole new meaning.  Remember these doors?  They became library shelves and storage in our work studio, but I still had the bottom half of the dirty door from the library shelves.  By adding a leftover drawer front I had laying around from an old dresser I refinished, what did I get?


 

A spectacular linen storage drawer and wine shelf for the dining room.  What a transformation, seriously!

To be honest, I've been thinking about this project for quite awhile.  After tirelessly trying to visualize this piece and where to begin, it was finally time to move, and just start creating it.  I didn't have all the details worked out, but once I started working it all came together.


I purchased two 2'X4' oak veneer panels from the hardware store.  That was the only additional item necessary to make this cabinet, so I made it on the cheap too!  I needed to create a way to hang the door on the wall while being able to secure the drawer on bottom, so I cut out two L shaped pieces from my veneer.  It looks like my door is on stilts!


Using screws I attached the 2x4's to the door, and screwed the veneer into the 2x4's to secure the piece together.  The 2x4's will also be how the piece will hang on the wall.  


Now it was time to complete the box.  I've saved a drawer front from an old dresser that I refinished, that was too cool to just toss out.  By tracing the shape of the drawer on the veneer, I then used a jigsaw to cut the design for the top and bottom of the cabinet.


It's coming together.  Next up, we will make the drawer itself.


It fits so perfectly.  Okay, so it honestly took some tweaking to get the drawer to fit and slide right, and this was one of the more difficult parts of this project! (a little tip, make sure you have no protruding nails/fasteners that will interfere with the sliding of the drawer)


Now to give it a test fit, and love it!



Now I moved on to paint, but first used a wood filler to fill the screw holes and then patiently waited for it to dry.  Once that was done the first layer of paint was black.


After another test of patience waiting for this to dry, I then layered an off-white paint over it.  After another period of drying, it was time to use some 220 grit sandpaper to distress it.


Now onto adding the fun stuff.  This drawer holds all my cloth napkins, plus it's a perfect shelf for wine and glasses!


Finished Product!  I hope this has inspired you to use those scrap leftovers to create something of you own spectacular!

No comments