Colorado Inspired

Colorado Inspired
Colorado Inspired

Winter Wonderland Wood Sign

Winter Wonderland Wood Sign
Winter Wonderland

Valentine's Designs

Valentine's Designs
Valentine's Designs

🥂 Welcome 2019! 🥂 New Goals New Organization

Does anyone have any good new year's resolutions?  I have to admit I have a few personal ones as well as some professionally.  One of them was to be more organized and consistent professionally this year, so I needed to create something to keep me on track and focused.  Focused being the key word there!  I decided to create an organization calendar for my artisan studio that is sure to help me keep that new year's resolution. 





Let me show you how it was done.


I started out with purchasing a sheet of hardboard at my local hardware store.  This thin board comes in two by four foot sheets and is easy to work with and paint.  I cut it to my desired size with a table saw and added a couple coats of chalk board paint.


After a 24 hour dry time we're ready to layout our calendar.


The space around the edge of the board is measured for our frame made out of 1 x 2 wood stained dark walnut.  The dimensions of the calendar are twenty-eight inches across and fourteen inches down leaving two inches up at the top for the month, which divided out makes seven, four inch squares across and four, three inch squares down.  I love easy math.



Using a square as a straight edge and a pencil we draw out the rest of the calendar.


It's starting to come together.  Instead of paint for the calendar outline we went and bought an oil-based sharpie in white at our local Walmart to create clean crisp lines.


Using a long straight edge we "paint" over our pencil outline.  You can see right between my husband's hands we pushed down too hard on the pen and the paint went everywhere.  Not to worry just wipe up the excess paint, let dry, and use a coat or two as necessary of chalkboard paint to cover it up, then try again!  Next up we added the "Month" and "To Do" labels .


I cut out a stencil with my silhouette (but you could easily hand paint this or use the oil-based sharpie), and painted them using sheepskin colored chalk paint.


Finally, we added the stained 1 x 2 frame cut to size, and use 5/8th inch nails to secure it to the calendar board.




All hung up in our desired space in the studio.  I've used Photoshop to create the calendar for web purposes (pictured at the top), but some good old fashioned chalk keeps me right on track with what I need to get done for the month, as well as any birthdays and special events that I need to remember.

Materials List:

  • 2 x 4 foot sheet of hardboard
  • 2 - 1 x 2 wood strips 8 foot long
  • Chalk paint and paint brush
  • Oil-based sharpie pen
  • 5/8 inch nails (to attach the hardboard to the frame) 
  • 2 picture hangers
  • chalk

Along with a few personal new year's resolutions to exercise 4-5 times a week as well as add yoga into my daily routine, I'm tackling this new year head on.  It becomes habit after 30 days right?
What are some of your new year's goals?  Post them in the comments section, can't wait to hear what want to tackle this year!

No comments