Colorado Inspired

Colorado Inspired
Colorado Inspired

Winter Wonderland Wood Sign

Winter Wonderland Wood Sign
Winter Wonderland

Valentine's Designs

Valentine's Designs
Valentine's Designs

Starting seeds

It's official, I'm starting my seeds this year, and I'm getting the itch to get outside and plant.  Seen as how we got 15-18 inches of snow this weekend, nothing is ready to go outside just yet, but I have definitely gotten started.

First prep work was to get my seed pots ready.  I have been saving my family's cardboard toilet paper roles to use as my cheap seed pots instead of buying them.  I would like to mention, that I'm shocked how quickly we use toilet paper in our house, so now I'm also a little more conscientious about recycling these.


So I cut the roles in half, and started stacking them into my trays.


I went to my local hardware store, and purchased several bags of seed starting mix.  This really is the best way to go when starting seeds, because is just soil, and no compost material.




Filled each little cup with dirt, added water to the bottom of the tray, and used a squirt bottle to get the tops of my pots wet.




I used a paper bag cut into the right sized strips to separate and label what seeds I was planting.










This way I knew exactly what seeds I planted where.  I also decided to spread out my planting so all my veggies weren't ready to harvest at the same time.


Week 2!  I have sprouts on my cabbage, brussels sprouts, and broccoli already, and just planted another row of all three, plus thought I'd try my hand at cauliflower, so I started those this week as well.



Also thought that I would try growing artichokes, and planted most of my herbs.  I have started basil, tarragon, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and oregano.  Getting a few sprouts already.






Last but certainly not least, is the record keeping which is not the most fun, but the best way to figure out harvest.








The dream veggie garden is underway to accommodate all I'm planting.  Come on spring!

No comments